Video Upscalers Benchmark: Quality Enhancement
The most extensive comparison of video super-resolution (VSR) algorithms by subjective quality
Our benchmark determines the best upscaling methods for increasing video resolution and improving visual quality using our compact yet comprehensive dataset.
Everyone is welcome to participate! Run your favorite super-resolution method on our compact test video and send us the result to see how well it performs. Check the “Submitting” section to learn the details.
Over 3700 People
have participated in the verified pairwise subjective comparison
30 Test Clips
with both camera-shot
and 2D-animated content
41 Upscalers Tested
with both 4× and 2× scaling on video with complex distortion
An Open Visual Comparison
with original high-resolution fragments available for reference
Structural Distortion Maps
with compensated pixel shifts
for easy artifacts detection
Speed/Quality Scatter Plots
and tables with objective metrics
for a comprehensive comparison
- April 9th, 2023: Added LESRCNN, CFSRCNN and ACNet
- November 13th, 2022: Added HGSRCNN and ESRGCNN
- August 28th, 2022: Release of the Benchmark
- November 9th, 2021: Beta-version Release
Our benchmark presents the ranking of video upscalers using crowd-sourced subjective comparison. Over 3700 valid participants have selected the most visually appealing upscaling result in many pairwise comparisons.
For evaluating upscaling methods, we also use various metrics (objective quality measures). In addition, we calculate the average FPS (frames per second).
Scroll below for comparison charts, tables, and interactive visual comparisons of upscaling results.
4× Camera-Shot Leaderboards
4× Camera-Shot Visualizations
4× Camera-Shot Charts
4× 2D-Animated Leaderboards
4× 2D-Animated Visualizations
4× 2D-Animated Charts
2× Camera-Shot Leaderboards
2× Camera-Shot Visualizations
2× Camera-Shot Charts
2× 2D-Animated Leaderboards
2× 2D-Animated Visualizations
2× 2D-Animated Charts
To add your upscaling method to the benchmark, follow these steps:
|1. Download the input||
Download the test video
If your upscaler requires extracting frames,
|2. Apply your upscaler||
Apply your 2× or 4× upscaling method to the video
Configure it for lossless (CRF0/PNG) output, if possible.
If your upscaler outputs images, we recommend
using this command after upscaling:
|3. Send us the result||
If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Notifications About the Updates of This Benchmark
We can notify you about this benchmark’s updates: simply submit your preferred email address using the form below.
Check the “Methodology” section to learn how we prepare our dataset.
Check the “Participants” section to learn which upscalers’ implementations we use.
MSU Video Quality Measurement Tool
Widest Range of Metrics & Formats
- Modern & Classical Metrics SSIM, MS-SSIM, PSNR, VMAF and 10+ more
- Non-reference analysis & video characteristics
Blurring, Blocking, Noise, Scene change detection, NIQE and more
Fastest Video Quality Measurement
- GPU support
Up to 11.7x faster calculation of metrics with GPU
- Real-time measure
- Unlimited file size
Main MSU VQMT page on compression.ru
quality evaluation platform
- Conduct comparison of video codecs and/or encoding parameters
What is it?
Subjectify.us is a web platform for conducting fast crowd-sourced subjective comparisons.
The service is designed for the comparison of images, video, and sound processing methods.
- Pairwise comparison
- Detailed report
- Providing all of the raw data
- Filtering out answers from cheating respondents
MSU Benchmark Collection
- Video Upscalers Benchmark
- Video Deblurring Benchmark
- Video Frame Interpolation Benchmark
- HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark
- Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark
- No-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark
- Full-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark
- Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark
- Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark
- Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- MSU Datasets Collection
- Metrics Research
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
- Video Filters
- Other Projects