MSU Device Testing - determination of the 3D devices’ characteristics: About the project
- Projects, ideas: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Implementation: Denis Sumin, Alexey Fedorov
Table of contents
The 3D devices become available to a large number of people over the past few years. The 3D technology gets more and more distributed and advertised. But still there are many problems for producer and advertisers. One of the problems with viewing high-quality 3D video is the problem with display devices (because even the best image can become a nightmare for a viewer if it is demonstrated on poor equipment)
The example of the display problem. Stereo system, consisting of two projectors. The problem with one of the lamps.
Most of the 3D devices can not provide comfortable and high-quality displaying, and thus can both harm human health (cause eye fatigue, headaches, etc) and influence public opinion on the whole 3D video area. However, some problem of bad displaying can be diagnosed and corrected, thus making viewing more comfortable. The producer often do not fully provide the end user with information about the technical characteristics and real capabilities of their devices.
The goal and the tasks
- The main goal:
- Make the world a little better by separating good 3D device from the bad!
- Determination of the possible equipment defects
- Determination of the optimal equipment settings
- Construction of the maps of comfort perception 3D-video (the maps which show the image quality in different positions relative to the screen)
- The creation of the public database consisting of tested devices in order to give everyone an opportunity to compare the quality of different devices and to make well-considered decision.
How test works?
Prepared the test images system, which allows to determine many important characteristics of 3D device.
Checking the characteristics of the equipment is as follows:
- The test images are displaying on the tested equipment
- Taking pictures of the images obtained using the 3D device
- Computing the characteristics of the test equipment by means of the computer vision
- The results are entering into the database
As a result - the world have become a little better!
MSU Benchmark Collection
- MSU Video Upscalers Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Deblurring Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Frame Interpolation Benchmark 2022
- MSU HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark 2022
- MSU Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark 2022
- MSU No-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Full-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- MSU Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark 2021
- MSU Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- MSU Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark 2020
- MSU Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- MSU Datasets Collection
- Metrics Research
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
- Video Filters
- Other Projects