VirtualDub MSU Deflicker filter
- Project, ideas: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Implementation: Kostya Strelnikov
Filter is intended for processing video with flicker effect (fast and abrupt brightness changes). The effect of flicker is a common degradation in old movies. Typical example:
Sequence of frames from movie with flicker
Filter is very useful for old movie cleaning task.
Filter’s interface allows to choose from three work types, and to change influence degree using delicacy parameter. You can process frame by parts in case of irregular flicker (use break mode). If you use use blend mode then current frame will blend with previous frame using threshold parameter. Change ground parameter sets initial value for change ground threshold (later threshold will be defined automatically)
We will compare work of MSU Deflicker filter and Donald Graft’s filter.
Let’s take as example old movie with World War II chronicles.
A frame from movie
Let’s consider graphs of brightness change by frames.
Graph for MSU Deflicker filter has same smoothness as graph of D.Graft’s filter, but MSU Deflicker filter better represents global brightness change along a movie.
Now let’s consider work of the filter in case of frame brightness jump. We will take other old movie for testing.
|A frame from the sequence||The next frame from the sequence|
You can compare results of filters below:
|The frame 19 after MSU Deflicker filter||The frame 19 after Donald Graft's filter|
MSU Benchmark Collection
- MSU Video Upscalers Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Deblurring Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Frame Interpolation Benchmark 2022
- MSU HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark 2022
- MSU Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark 2022
- MSU No-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Full-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- MSU Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark 2021
- MSU Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- MSU Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark 2020
- MSU Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- MSU Datasets Collection
- Metrics Research
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
- Video Filters
- Other Projects