Video filtering and compression by MSU Video Group
- Group Leader: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
MSU Public Access Video Filters
Below is the list of video processing filters (research VirtualDub versions) developed in our lab. Commonly we are developing filter families. Please contact us for ASIC/FPGA/DSP optimized versions.
- Cartoon Restore filter (description, examples,
This filter improves compressed animated cartoons quality by removing ringing artifacts. Three methods with different complexities are implemented. Examples of work and all settings description can be found at the filter’s page.
- Noise Estimation filter (description, examples,
The filter is used to estimate mean noise variance in video sequences. The result is saved into a log file.
- Frame Rate Conversion filter (description, examples,
The filter is intended for video frame rate up-conversion. It increases the frame rate integer times. It allows, for example, to convert a video with 15 fps into a video with 30 fps.
- Old Cinema filter (description, examples,
This filter adds some effects like noise, lines, color and some others… Use it to make movie look like old chronicle. You can see examples from very old movie “Terminator-2”. ;) We took it from last century archives.
- Deblocking - block removal filter for VideoCD movies
Filter is intended for recovering quality of video ripped from DVD (for example, when it contains 4 hours of video data), VideoCD or after decompression by H.261, H.263, DivX 3, DivX 4, XviD.
- Smart Brightness and Contrast (description, examples,
The filter corrects image brightness and contrast without loss of bright and dark details and is much easier to use than respective Photoshop filter (see examples).
- Noiser (description, examples,
The filter is intended to aid in debugging of denoising algorithms and for processing of rendered sequences to give them natural view.
- Denoiser (description, examples,
Designed for noisy video stream processing to improve quality and/or ease further processing, such as compression.
- Motion Estimation Information (description, examples,
The filter is designed to aid in performance analysis and debugging of video codecs, development of denoising filters, scene complexity analysis, etc.
- Smart Sharpen (description, examples,
As the name implies, the filter improves image sharpness.
- Deflicker (description, examples,
Filter to reduce flicking artifact on video captured from film or recorded with artificial flicking light.
- MSU Subtitle Remover (description, examples,
The filter is intended to remove subtitles from films.
- MSU Logo Remover (description, examples,
The filter is intended to remove logo from films.
- AviSynth plug-in “MSU Field Shift Fixer” (description, examples,
The filter is intended to field shift on old film capturing. Written for AviSynth 2.0 or 2.5.
- MSU StegoVideo filter (description, examples,
Unique filter, allows to hide info in compressed video file with unknown codec.
- “MSU Cartoonizer Filter” filter (description, examples,
The filter is designed for animated cartoon, watercolor and pencil drawing rendering. MSU Cartoonizer filter has many parameters which allow to get very interesting results. This is first filter by Graphics & Media Lab from non-photorealistic rendering area.
- MSU Smart Deblocking filter (description, examples,
Filter is intended for recovering quality of video ripped from DVD (for example, when it contains 8 hours of video data). In comparison with MSU Deblocking provide better quality for high compressed video.
- MSU Old Color Restoration filter (description, examples,
Filter is used for restoring of faded colors in old video.
- MSU Color Enhancement filter (description, examples,
Filter is used for saturation enhancing, shadowed details restoring, color images visual quality improving.
- “MSU Videogroup filters
Answers to your questions.
During our work we have created the database for video quality assessment with subjective scores
MSU Video Group / Video data filtering and compession
VirtualDub MSU Logo Remover
The filter is intended to remove logo from films
MSU Stereo To Multiview 3D Video Conversion ( Glasses-free 3D-Displays Video Content creation)
Stereo to multiview video conversion algorithm for glasses-free autostereoscopic 3D displays
MSU Video Super-Resolution Filter
This filter increases resolution of video sequence while saving and improving details and reducing artifacts.
MSU Videogroup Filters. Frequently Asked Questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
MSU Benchmark Collection
- MSU Video Upscalers Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Deblurring Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Frame Interpolation Benchmark 2022
- MSU HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark 2022
- MSU Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark 2022
- MSU No-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Full-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- MSU Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark 2021
- MSU Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- MSU Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark 2020
- MSU Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- MSU Datasets Collection
- Metrics Research
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
- Video Filters
- Other Projects