AviSynth MSU Frame Rate Conversion Filter
- Project, idea: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Algorithm: Karen Simonyan, Sergey Grishin
- Implementation: Karen Simonyan
The filter is intended for video frame rate up-conversion. It increases the frame rate integer times. It allows, for example, to convert a video with 15 fps into a video with 30 fps.
To use the plugin, copy MSU_FRC.dll file to “plugins” directory in AviSynth install folder or use the function LoadPlugin directly from the script.
AviSynth script example:
AviSource("video.avi") ConvertToYV12().MSU_FRC(4, "slow")
The input video must be in YV12 colorspace.
To convert a video into YV12 colorspace use ConvertToYV12.
The width and the height of the input video must be multiples of 16.
To resize a video use Crop and/or AddBorders.
|1||Interpolation factor||Any positive number|
|2||Preset||fast - higher speed, lower quality
medium - medium speed, medium quality
slow - lower speed, better quality
slow preset is used by default
AviSynth webpage http://avisynth.org
Test sequence “matrix”. Interpolation factor is 4, slow preset.
Fragment of the "matrix" sequence (2 frames)
After processing the fragment on the left by the FRC filter the frame rate increased 4 times
Objective comparison with other algorithms
The figure below demonstrates the results of the objective comparison.
The objective quality of processed sequences for various methods was
measured using Y-PSNR. During PSNR calculation only interpolated frames
were used. In order to do so the original video sequences were first
decimated with factor 2 and then decimated frames were interpolated
using FRC. After that the interpolated frames were compared with the
original ones using Y-PSNR metric.
Vertical axis is marked by average Y-PSNR values for each sequence, the horizontal one - by the names of test video sequences. It can be seen that the developed algorithm shows the best objective quality on most sequences.
FRC Y-PSNR comparison
The filter was tested on AviSynth v2.57
- For common questions about filter’s work please contact us: email@example.com
- For commercial license of this filter (commercial usage is not free) please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
MSU Benchmark Collection
- MSU HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark 2022
- MSU Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Quality Metrics Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Upscalers Benchmark 2022
- MSU Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- MSU Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark 2021
- MSU Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- MSU Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark 2020
- MSU Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
MSU Datasets Collection
- Video Filters