Options Analysis of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Codec x264
- Project head: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Testing, charts, analysis: Alexander Parshin, Vladimir Popov, Kira Ragulina
We have analyzed x264 (version r938) - one of the best codecs of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video coding standard. This codec demonstrates great results of both quality and speed of encoding according to our previous MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec comparisons. Number of codec options were analysed to find their best values and codec’s optimal presets.
The following options were considered:
- Macroblocks partitions selection (--partitions)
- Number of B-frames (--bframes)
- Number of reference frames (--ref)
- Motion Estimation method (--me)
- Algorithm of subpixel compensation usage (--subme)
- Mixing of predictions from different frames (--mixed-refs)
- Weighted predictions in B-frames (--weightb)
The report contain the following sections:
- List of optimal presets for different encoding speed
- Codec options analysis using colored point clouds
- Codec options analysis using speed/quality tradeoff
- Codec options analysis using convex-hull elumination
|Presets quality and speed. Each point is tested preset.
X axis is encoding speed, Y axis is average bitrate for the same quality.
Main results of this work are the following:
- List of optimal presets. Those presets can be used for better encoding of your video.
- Recommendations for presets usage for different encoding speed.
- Conclusions about methods implementations efficiency related to other implemented methods.
We offer commercial evaluations of codec’s parameters set similar to this one. Write us an e-mail for more details.
x264 options analysis, PDF, EN, 1.73 MB
Special thanks to the following contributors of this work
MSU Benchmark Collection
- Video Upscalers Benchmark
- Video Deblurring Benchmark
- Video Frame Interpolation Benchmark
- HDR Video Reconstruction Benchmark
- Super-Resolution for Video Compression Benchmark
- No-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark
- Full-Reference Video Quality Metrics Benchmark
- Video Alignment and Retrieval Benchmark
- Mobile Video Codecs Benchmark
- Video Super-Resolution Benchmark
- Shot Boundary Detection Benchmark
- Deinterlacer Benchmark
- The VideoMatting Project
- Video Completion
- Codecs Comparisons & Optimization
- MSU Datasets Collection
- Metrics Research
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
- Video Filters
- Other Projects