Second Annual MSU MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codec Comparison
For people, who make real research in field of high-end video compression and professionally use videocodecs
- Project head: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Testing, charts, analysis: Dmitriy Kulikov, Alexander Parshin
- Translation: Artem Titarenko
- Verification: Stanislav Soldatov
Codecs that were tested
- DivX 6.0 (Not H.264 video codec, tested as reference codec)
- ArcSoft H.264
- Ateme H.264
- ATI H.264
- Elecard H.264
- Fraunhofer IIS H.264
- VSS H.264
- During testing following metrics were measured:
- PSNR (Y, U, V, L, R, G, B components)
- SSIM (Y component)
- VQM (Y component)
- Blurring (Y, U, V components)
- Blocking (Y, U, V components)
- Two codec presets will be compared:
- “Maximum quality”
- “Balanced” (speed)
- Video sequences that were used in this comparison
- “foreman” (standard sequence)
- “susi” (standard sequence)
- “BBC” (standard sequence)
- “battle” (part from “Terminator-2” movie)
- “simpsons” (part from “The Simpsons” movie)
- “Matrix” (part from “The Matrix” movie)
- “Concert” (part from HDTV movie)
- Testing rules:
- Restrictions of codecs’ operation: only codecs that can work in Main profile of H.264 and do not use two passes were tested.
- Every codec was tested three times with separate speed measurements. After this median of these three values (middle value) was used as a resulting time.
- Following 10 bitrates were used for codec testing (Kbps): 100, 225, 340, 460, 700, 938, 1140, 1340, 1840, 2340.
- During testing three types of video sequences were used:
- Source sequences *.yuv in YUV 4:2:0 format.
- *.avi sequences in YUV 4:2:0 format with fourcc “YV12”.
- *.yuv sequences with duplicated last frame. These sequences were used for testing x264 codec.
- In this testing VirtualDub version 1.6.10 was used.
- In this testing AviSynth version 2.55 was used.
- For all metrics’ measurements in this test special build of MSU Video Quality Measurement Tool was used.
- For each preset both speed and quality were measured
- Total number of graphs in this comparison is 3796. Only 82 (2%) of them are in document;
- The number of computer-days is more than 20;
- Final document has 85 pages.
Content of HTML version
- Goal and testing rules
- “Best quality” preset
- U-PSNR, V-PSNR
- SSIM, VQM
- Blurring measure, blocking measure
- Bitrate handling
- “Best speed” preset
- Speed/Quality Tradeoff
- Bitrate handling
- Final part
- 2-pass mode and High profile
- Per frame comparison
- Visual comparison
- Informal codec comparison
- General conclusions
MSU Video Quality Measurement Tool: Picture types
VQMT 13.0 Online help: List of all picture types available in VQMT and their aliases
Call for HEVC codecs 2019
Fourteen modern video codec comparison
HEVC Video Codecs Comparison 2018 (Thirteen MSU Video Codec Comparison)
13th MSU video codecs comparison
HEVC Video Codecs Comparison 2017 (Twelfth MSU Video Codec Comparison)
12th MSU video codecs comparison
MSU Video Codec Comparisons (6 test of lossless, MPEG-4 and MPEG-4 AVC)
Call for HEVC codecs 2018
- Codecs Comparison & Optimization
- Video Filters
- Video Quality Measurement Tool 3D
Semiautomatic Visual-Attention Modeling
MSU Benchmark Collection